Skip to content

Town News

Town of Canton >> Home >> Town News

UPDATED - Key Points regarding Revaluation & Phase In Information - CLICK HERE 


Click here for the 2024 Town Budget Meeting Schedule

FEMA Flood Map Changes/Appeal Process (2/28/24-5/28/24)

All News

5/1/2013 - *It's Time to License Your Dog!

Major Rogowski is Canton's 2013 Top Dog!!

Major, a 10 year old Border Collie came to the Town Clerk's office Wednesday with his owner, Laura, to claim his #1 Dog Tag and a bowl full of goodies!



State law requires all dogs over six months of age to be licensed. Dog licenses are issued throughout the year; however, renewal of current licenses takes place during the months of May and June. In an effort to save money on postage and materials, reminder messages will now be sent via EMAIL ONLY. To receive your reminder, please provide your email address by following this link. Enter your email address, check the box marked “Dog Licensing and Reminder Info” and click “Join”. Licenses can be obtained at the Town Clerk's office or by mail with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to:

Canton Town Clerk
PO Box 168
Collinsville, CT 06022

A rabies certificate is required to license your dog. Click here for a Dog Licensing Form. Dog licenses are valid from July 1st through June 30th and are renewable every year in May and June. Fees are as follows:

$8.00 Spayed Female or Neutered Male Dog (Certificate of Proof must be provided)
$19.00 Un-spayed Female or Un-neutered Male Dog
$1.00 Late Fee, per month beginning July 1

Per Connecticut State Statute Section 22-338, all Dogs must be vaccinated against rabies and owners must submit a certificate to the Town Clerk when licensing their dog.

A $75 fine will be imposed by the Animal Control Officer on unlicensed dogs in accordance with the State Law.

For a lost or roaming Dog, please contact Animal Control Officer Beverly LaPlume at 409-4205 or 693-0221. She can also be reached at

For more information about the Dept of Agriculture's Animal Population Control Program click here.

Questions or problems about wildlife? Call the DEEP at 860-424-3011.