Skip to content

Town News

Town of Canton >> Home >> Town News

UPDATED - Key Points regarding Revaluation & Phase In Information - CLICK HERE 


Click here for the 2024 Town Budget Meeting Schedule

FEMA Flood Map Changes/Appeal Process (2/28/24-5/28/24)

All News

8/17/2013 - *Household Hazardous Waste Collection - Aug 17th

Household Hazardous Waste Collection - August 17, 2013

The Town of Canton, in conjunction with Avon, Simsbury and Granby will be holding a household hazardous waste collection on Saturday, August 17, 2013 at the Simsbury Public Works Facility at 66 Town Forest Road.  The collection will run from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon and will be open to all residents from Simsbury, Avon, Canton and Granby. 

This collection marks a change from the Town’s past practice of utilizing the MDC to manage our Household Hazardous Waste collection.  This past year the MDC made significant changes to their program that would have resulted in higher costs for participating towns.  Due to the changes and rising costs, leadership from Avon, Canton, Granby and Simsbury opted out of the MDC’s collection program and will hold a separate household hazardous waste collection for residents of the four participating Towns. 

As Canton is no longer participating with the MDC collection, Canton residents can no longer bring their household waste to any of the MDC household hazardous waste collections

“Managing our own collection will result in a significant savings to our residents and allows the Towns to have better control over the collection process,” said Canton’s Director of Public Works, Robert J. Martin.  Canton anticipates holding collections on a semi-annual basis, in the spring and fall in 2014. 

Below are some frequently asked questions related to household hazardous waste disposal.  For more specific information, please check the Public Works web site or contact the Canton Public Works Department at 860-693-7863. 

Common Household Hazardous Waste Questions

1.          What items are acceptable to bring to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection?

  • Fluorescent and compact fluorescent light bulbs
  • Batteries - common household batteries including rechargeable batteries (excluding car batteries)
  • Lawn Care Chemicals – fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides
  • Switches or Items Containing Mercury – thermometers, thermostats, motion detectors
  • Household cleaners – acids, adhesives, aerosol cans, ammonia, drain cleaner, disinfectants, moth balls, etc.  
  • Chemicals from the garage or workshop - antifreeze, ant/bug spray or bait, brake fluid, old gasoline, oil based paint, lighter fluid, polyurethane, pool chemicals, road flares, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, wood stain, etc.

2.          What items are not acceptable?

  • Ammunition and/or Explosives (including gunpowder) - Call your local Police Department.
  • Asbestos
  • Business Waste – this collection is only for residential waste
  • Car Batteries
  • Cement
  • Electronics
  • Empty Containers - A container is considered empty when no more than one inch or 3% (by weight) of material is left in the container, these can be disposed of in the regular trash.
  • Fire Extinguishers
  • Freon
  • Marine Flares – Pyrotechnic flares cannot be accepted at the Collection because they are categorized as explosives.
  • Ice Melt – Ice melt is not hazardous and can be disposed of in the regular trash.
  • Latex Driveway Sealer (Genite) – Driveway sealer is not hazardous; solidify then throw in the regular trash.
  • Medicine/Drugs/Needles/Syringes
  • Propane Tanks for Gas Grills
  • Appliances
  • Smoke Detectors
  • Tires
  • Used Oil & Oil Filters

3.          How can I get rid of latex paint?

You can either bring your paint to the household hazardous waste collection or because latex paint is non-hazardous, you can dry the latex paint and put it in your regular trash. Mixing sand or kitty litter into the paint will accelerate the drying process. Once the paint is dry you can throw the can, with the lid off, into your regular trash. 

*If your paint was made prior to 1992, it may contain mercury or lead and should be brought to a household hazardous waste collection. Please mark the container “Pre 1992 Paint – May contain lead or mercury”.

4.          How do I dispose of old electronics?

Canton’s Transfer Station, located at Ramp Road will accept old electronics (televisions, computers, monitors, etc.) during their normal operating hours (Tuesday thru Saturday 7:00 a.m. to 3:30pm) at no cost to the resident. 

  1. What can I bring to a collection?

In general, products that are toxic, flammable, or corrosive, such as: chemicals, cleaners, batteries (not car batteries), CFLs, gasoline, insecticides, oil paint, wood stain, turpentine.

  1. Can I go to any collection?

No, this year residents of Canton can only participate in the collection being held in Simsbury on August 17, 2013 at 66 Town Forest Road in Simsbury between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 Noon. 

We hope to have two collections next year. 

  1. How do I dispose of unwanted medications?

Unwanted medications can be disposed of in the lobby of the Canton Police Station at 45 River Road.

  1. How do I dispose of Compact Fluorescent (CFL) Bulbs?

Home Depot and many of the larger hardware stores now accept unbroken CFLs at the returns desk of local stores. CFLs can also be brought to Household Hazardous Waste Collections.

  1. How do I dispose of my air conditioner?

Canton’s Transfer Station, located at Ramp Road will accept air conditioners during their normal operating hours (Tuesday thru Saturday 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.)  Fees are posted on the Town’s web site and a permit is required.